MapR Ships Converged Data Platform with Extended Security, Data Governance and Performance
March 08, 2016
New platform unifies real-time event streaming, database and storage for big data scale and flexibility
MapR Technologies, Inc., provider of the industry’s only converged data platform, today announced the immediate availability of the MapR Converged Data Platform with new security, data governance and performance enhancements. The MapR Platform is uniquely architected to converge Hadoop with Spark, web-scale storage, NoSQL, and streaming capabilities into one unified cluster, enabling customers to deploy real-time global data applications with unprecedented scale and flexibility.
Available now, the MapR Converged Data Platform gives customers new big data capabilities across MapR Streams, MapR-DB, and MapR-FS. From powerful security and data governance, to optimal Docker support and extreme performance, MapR continues to innovate its platform for today’s business-critical environments.
Unprecedented big data security
- File and stream access control expressions (ACEs) simplify the granting of permissions to users and groups across data files and directories using Boolean expressions, making security administration more scalable and manageable.
- Whole volume ACEs add another level of protection for data files in MapR Volumes, and provides greater multi-tenancy controls to guarantee that data is only available to specific groups. This is especially useful in hosted customer-facing SaaS applications to absolutely ensure that no client can access another customer’s information.
- Selective auditing provides flexibility to track only the required activities to audit and/or analyze, giving flexibility in auditing while optimizing system performance.
Optimized for multi-tenant containerized environments
- Apache Myriad enables infrastructure consolidation by sharing all data center resources between YARN and non-YARN jobs.
- Only MapR can fully leverage Myriad to create extended multi-tenant environments, especially ones that take advantage of Docker containers in a fully distributed read/write platform. For more information on how the Platform provides a scalable data layer for containers, read today’s announcement.
Extremely fast performance across the Platform
An independent research firm, ESG, performed benchmark testing on MapR Streams and confirmed over 18 million messages/second performance with over 3.5GB/sec throughput.
MapR-DB, now with native JSON support, is performance optimized for SSDs with highly parallelized I/O access to NoSQL data for real-time operations.
"SurveyMonkey is leveraging the speed and power of the MapR Data Platform to gain deeper insights into our customer behavior and experience, enabling us to continue to develop and improve our world class survey platform,” said Graeme Wilson, manager, BI Infrastructure, SurveyMonkey.
“MapR is leading the industry with the only data platform that converges Hadoop with Spark, storage, NoSQL, and very fast streaming capabilities on one unified cluster,” said Robin Bloor, chief analyst, Bloor Group. “This enables MapR customers to transform how they do business by providing the foundation for creating global real-time data applications that can lead to a significant competitive advantage."
MapR commitment to the open source community continues to drive monthly ecosystem updates with new project releases, including, Apache Myriad 0.1, Spark 1.5.2 GA and Spark 1.6 (in developer preview), Hue 3.9, Sentry 1.6, Impala 2.2, HBase 1.1, Drill 1.4.
“We’ve listened closely to our customers who drive their business on MapR and delivered the industry’s first and only converged data platform built on technology innovations exclusive to MapR,” said Anoop Dawar, vice president, products Hadoop and Spark, MapR Technologies. “Customers gain a strong competitive advantage with platform-wide real-time capabilities to process and analyze data instantly so they can focus their teams on delivering business insights, not on managing infrastructure.”
The MapR Converged Data Platform is immediately available and is free within the MapR Converged Community Edition. Download it here.
Cloud-based deployments for the new MapR Platform will be available this month in major public clouds, including Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace, Azure Marketplace and CenturyLink Marketplace.
- Learn more about converged data platforms and MapR, register for this webinar taking place on March 9, hosted by 451 Research.
- Understand how MapR Streams delivers outstanding performance at scale, read this ESG Lab Review.
- See what partners have to say about the MapR Converged Data Platform.
- Listen to a Gartner on-demand webinar on combining data-in-motion with data-at-rest.
- Read more about converged data platforms in this 3-part series by 451 Research.
About MapR Technologies
MapR Technologies is a visionary Silicon Valley software company and creator of the next-generation data platform for AI and analytics, with the scale and reliability required by enterprise-grade, mission-critical deployments. The MapR Data Platform delivers the power of dataware to accelerate data-driven innovation. Forward leaning companies such as Cisco, Philips, and Société Générale, are able to create new data-driven solutions to outperform the competition. Learn more: mapr.com.
MapR is a registered trademark of MapR Technologies, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other names and brands may be the property of others.